Racial Inequality

Racial Inequality

Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Trials Then and Now

The incident that I want to talk about today involves the Tom Robinson trial in "To Kill a Mockingbird". In the Tom Robinson trial, a black man was accused of raping a white man's daughter. After a long day through the trial, the man was found guilty. After reading this trial, I thought about an incident that happened in my family during this time period also. In a small town called Rich Square, a black man was accused of raping a young white woman. The trial was called "The Buddy Bush Trial." Buddy Bush went through the same things as Tom Robinson. Buddy was found guilty also yet it was evident through the trial (and the story because it's also a book) that he was not guilty. Buddy had to escape before he had to go to jail or die for something he didn't do. My grandpa and great-grandpa helped buddy bush escape.
I believe that in both trials, things should have been evaluated better. I think it's also based on society and how African Americans during this time were treated.

2 comments:

  1. I love how seamlessly you connected the TR trial to your news event, and that you wrote your blog post kind of like a news reporter would. I also like that the news article you chose was connected to your life and that you put your thoughts in after stating the events. Excellent writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know this about your familly and or about this incident. I find it really interesting and cool .I like how you made the connection between the two because they really tie together well. Its fascinating to know that something like this happened nearby so long ago im assuming, and that it was executed similarly.

    ReplyDelete